Saturday, September 5, 2015

Sugar Baby Beautiful Review


Author: J.J.McAvoy
Genre: Contemporary, Romance, Dark
Rating: 5 "freely given" stars

Sugar Baby Beautiful by J. J. McAvoy has been taking the book community by storm. Only released on the 21st of August, and its seen an outpour of high reviews and ratings. It makes people wonder, what makes this novel so special? What does it have that can cause such a stir in a community that at most times is critical and apprehensive about most novels. Having my favourite reviewers singing its praise, almost shocked me. This is the moment where I reveal how I judged a book by its cover (I'm sorry but its the first thing you see when you pick up any novel and even though I have been proven time and time again, I still do it). There is a pretty male and female on the cover, which is pretty standard in any contemporary romance. Nothing new , right? Wrong. Wrong in so many ways. 

I can't justify or excuse myself. I entered this book with my own prejudices and judgments, thinking this might be one of those overrated novels. Anyways, now that we have come to the conclusion that I can be an idiot (It really does happen to the best of us), I can get into the review.

Sugar Baby Beautiful is a beautiful story about two broken individuals finding light within each other and also within themselves. It is about coming out of a dark place and still finding a reason to live. It's about compatibility; finding that one person who accepts you flaws and all. Sugar Baby Beautiful might be categorised as contemporary romance, but from what I read and felt, it went far deeper than it has been credited for. It explored the human mind, depression, societies response to such matters, happiness, love, and this self inadequacy that I KNOW we have all felt at some point in time of our lives. J.J. McAvoy effortlessly and artistically approaches dark, and in some societies, taboo subjects.  From my perspective, this novel acted as a mirror, reflecting all my issues, emotions and scars and forcing me to open that floodgate of emotion. 


“Isn’t that the game we’re playing? You tell me to do something, I say no, yet you get me to do it anyway?

The reader is introduced to Felicity Harper, a woman just trying to deal with life day by day. She lives in an apartment with her best friends, Marc and Chloe; making up her family.  One night, her friends convince her to go to this Sugar Daddy party where she can meet a rich guy and he can provide for her. At first, she is apprehensive about the party, not wanting anything more than sex from her companion. Finally she goes and meets Theo, the owner of the house, and there is instant intense and dark connection between both of them. It felt like two lost souls gravitating toward each other, forming an impenetrable bond. Felicity's music touches Theo and makes him feel, something he hasn't really done for a while. With both of their guards up, they work through their amazing but at times frustrating relationship. When Felicity joins Theo's entertainment company and gala performance, things get a bit REAL. At this point, I can't say any more without ruining the story. But expect the unexpected. There was this point in the novel where Sugar Baby Beautiful transformed from a contemporary romance to dark and uncharacteristically real story. 

The plot...damn...enough said....
The characters... holy mother.....
The last 20% of the novel....shaking my head...
This novel... left me speechless....

“How about Sugar Baby Beautiful?” I replied. He looked confused. “What does that mean?” “I’d like to think it means the kind of beauty even the richest people can’t buy.”

Sugar Baby Beautiful needs to be read. 
You can find this amazing novel on Goodreads, Amazon and Audible!


No comments:

Post a Comment