Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Introduction

There is this vision, a vision of a small girl laying flat on the floor with a book in her arms. The name of the novel isn't apparent, but you can just tell that the girl is enamoured by it. Her eyes are dilated, moving back and forth, absorbing everything as if this moment wouldn't last. She knew when she shut the novel, she would have to say goodbye to a bunch of friends she had got to know in such a short time.  Anyone passing her in that moment would know she was happily lost to the world around her. Laying in that unremarkable room, her passion for stories shone. The little girl knew from then on, she would give a little piece of heart to every story she loved. Until one day she would grow up, walk into a library and she would see the books as not inanimate objects, but as her friends, her family, her future, her passion, her struggle, a reflection of herself.... 

This was my vision, my memory, of my first time falling in love with a book. It has become a recurring dream and nightmare. The memory compounds the moment where my life altered. As sappy and cliche as that sounds, its the truth. Because of novels and stories, I see and comprehend the world so differently; I am more open-minded, pensive, and worldly. Now sometimes, the dream shifts and I see myself and where I would be if it weren't for novels, and the picture isn't pretty. This might seem as a harsh judgement and can hear the jury shouting : Diana! Just because people don't enjoy reading doesn't mean they will turn out HORRIBLE. And they are right! Of course they are! However, from my point of view, my life wouldn't have been as unfulfilling thus far. I grew up in Kenya and even with the country thriving, education and learning are seen as a privilege. I have grown knowing the importance of knowledge and the gift I was given; being able to read and write. We all have our vices and novels, the romantic idea of escaping into a world completely different than my own, is mine. 

Despite this, I have always been so apprehensive about sharing my views and thoughts on novels, with the fear that I will be criticised back. There is always someone who knows more , does more, is better. That doesn't give you the excuse not to try. This is me trying. This is me broadcasting my thoughts, emotions, knowledge on issues that are important me. 

I am Diana, and if you want to be part of my journey, there is an abundance of space and acceptance. You have probably realised that I love books (If it hasn't clear thus far, either I am doing something wrong or its you ;) ). So many of them, I literally cant even count. It is one the hobbies that will never cease to lift my spirits, make me think, make me feel. My only hope is to spread my passion and aspirations so that the rest of the world can feel this BLISS that comes from them. 

With that said....

Thanks guys! Let this begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment