Saturday, September 19, 2015

Not You It's Me Review


Author: Julie Johnson
Genre:Contemporary, Romance
Rating: 4 Stars

“I can’t imagine there’s any man on earth who would regret kissing you.”

As I read more and more contemporary romance, I begin to feel disappointed in myself for thinking novels like 50 Shades of Grey were a great novels (besides the erotica). As the years continue and romance novels move back to Romance instead of Sex, I feel grateful. Don't get me wrong, sex is a huge part of most relationships, but it is not everything. I loved Not You It's Me because it had the perfect balance of both. First of all, Julie Johnson has a name that is just made to be published. I don't know why I find this important but it is! 

I might have given my heart to this novel.I can tell a novel is great from my body's response to it. There were shivers going through me. My body was saying; Yes, MORE of THIS! A novel is great, in my opinion, when it unifies not only your mind but your body, your soul. There is a certain magic in that that I rarely encounter. 


“You’re one of those weirdos who plays chess against himself, and lays awake at night thinking through strategy, and has a first edition of The Art of War on his bookshelf, aren’t you?” I shake my head in faux-exasperation. “I have a strict rule against dating men like that. I don’t want to be the Luke to anyone’s Yoda, you know what I’m saying?”


Not You It's Me is a story about two individuals, Gemma and Chase, brought together from years of pain, anger and disappointment. Gemma Summers is a 29 year old art curator, who is too scared of showing her art, her soul, to the world. Chase Croft is the soon to be CEO of Croft Industries, crushed by the pressure of expectation and duty. During a basketball game, their worlds combine and set in motion a chain of events that end in their happiness. 

“Stop looking at me like that, Gemma,” he says, his voice so low, it sounds like a threat. Probably because it is one. “Like what?” I ask defensively, my eyes locking with his. “Like you’d like to see what not dating me entails.”

Not You It's Me is a beautifully simple story. That is what makes it so special; it allows the reader to explore emotions rather than plot. I was a completely endearing story about struggle and love. The plot could be easily predicted but that didn't take away from the story too much. However, the ending felt too rushed; it could have been developed better to end on a stronger note. But the characters really did make up for it. Both major and minor characters made the novel flow naturally and realistic. I couldn't help but relate to their issues, laughing at their jokes, and crying alongside them.

“I know how it feels to be disappointed by family — by the people who are supposed to love you unconditionally. It’s a betrayal of everything that makes us human.



Find this on Goodreads and Amazon



No comments:

Post a Comment