Sunday, December 13, 2015

Magic Shifts Review

Author: Ilona Andrews
Genre: Urban Fantasy, Paranormal, Magic
Rating: 4.5 Stars

Let’s play who can be a better killer. My sword and I love this game.

Magic Shifts is the eighth novel in the Kate Daniels series by Ilona Andrews. I still cant believe she has published over eight amazing novels! Kate and Currans' story is endless and timeless and flawless. I just cant get enough! This series just gets better with every book and Magic Shifts is living proof of that. 

Pay attention to this moment. Look at the stars. Breathe in the cold air. This is your last night. These are the last breaths you will take.

What I would give to live in this world Ilona created! Atlanta is a city with a mixture of magic and technological elements that make it such an interesting place to live in. There are Vampires, the Pack, Ghouls, Witches, and other weird shit rooming within the city boarder! 

“Off your chain. So dangerous, Your Majesty.” He glanced at me. “You might be too scary to let into the house. I don’t know if I can risk falling asleep next to you, Unchained One. Who knows what would happen?”

Magic Shifts is a transition from the previous novels, especially Magic Breaks,allowing the reader to settle into the world again. It begins with a normal opening and goes downhill from there. This novel is EXPLOSIVE! Kate is once again put in the forefront of these mysterious events that begin occurring in Atlanta. However, the pressure is on as she has to juggle between saving Atlanta and yet not shinning a spotlight on herself. 

“You’re a fucking bitch, you know that?” Mac said. “I’ll have to live with myself.”

It shouldn't be a surprise that the characters are just as awesome, if not better, than they previously were! Kate and Curran grow both in their relationship and also individually. There are some characters introduced in this novel are just so enigmatic and different. Magic Shifts really does bring in a wave of uniqueness and diversity.   

“That’s what I love about you, Your Furriness. Your humility and modesty.” “Don’t forget my razor-sharp wit and boyish good looks.”

What I loved most about Magic Shifts was the fact that it didn't feel like just ONE episode out of a TV show. It was its own TV show with a mixture of twists and turns, up and downs, calm moments and pure kick ass storms. It was grittier, funnier and multilayered. The novel wasn't just trying to solve one mystery but various problems that simultaneously occurred. 

This was what happiness felt like.

I am in awe of this series as a whole. 

"Curran!” “Yes?” I could hear controlled laughter in his voice. Unbelievable. I sped up. “We’re tracking ghouls and you’re grabbing my butt.” “I always make sure to pay attention to important things.” “Sure you do.”

Find this novel on Amazon and Goodreads.

No comments:

Post a Comment