Thursday, November 5, 2015

Breathing Fire Review

Author: Rebecca K. Lilley
Genre: Paranormal, Romance, Urban Fantasy
Rating: 5 Stars

" Things have been too fucking calm lately.  I’m ready for a storm.”

Breathing Fire has been on my to-be-read for far too long. I curse at my previous self for never having the balls to read this. Breathing Fire is a great urban fantasy novel. It encompasses all the good attributes of the genre. We are introduced into a compelling society with magic and mischief. After reading Eragon, stories involving dragons and folklore have always interested me. Breathing Fire is a cup of fresh air in the Urban Fantasy department, continuously engaging the reader.

“Kinda?” “Yes, I have a plan, kinda-ish.” “Ish?” “Ish.  Worst-case scenario, I’ll have to go see Dom.  But I should have it under control.  Ish.” “Your confidence is inspiring-ish.”

The heretic sisters are two siblings who come from an infamous dragon line. Both sisters escaped in order to escape the brutality that is forced upon women with dragons. Being on the run for a few years leaves them apprehensive and anxious of the people around them. Especially the druids, the guards and watchers of the magical society. This all goes to hell when Jillian unintentionally falls in-love with the most powerful druid. And leaves him.

“But I suppose, in the dark, lying down, it’s all the same to you.”

Fast forward to the present, two druids enter jillian's book store  in order to retrieve their registration documents. The danger of being recorded on the public druid system is their exposure to the dragons they are running away from. In order to prevent this, Jillian takes some harsh measures to ensure that her dragon family will not find them. This means asking help from the one person who loved, now vehemently hates her... the highest ranked druid, the Arch. This is a crazy journey around Las Vegas filled with action, mischief and classic banter. 

The pain was sharp and enduring.    He was the only thing in my life I’d ever wanted badly enough that it made me shake like an addict.

Overall, I really enjoyed Breathing Fire. I wouldn't say it was my top urban fantasy novel ( that spot is saved for the Kate Daniels series) but it has the potential to be. I really loved Jillian; there is something about powerful, smart and driven women that makes a story more enriching. Yes, there were moments where I was pissed at her, but she remained a strong MC through out the whole novel. Her sarcastic, witty and cynical humour got to me and just made the reading experience that more vibrant. Not only that but the support characters were all complex and unique in their own way. It created a versatile world with enigmatic individuals. Excited to explore more of these character developments in the sequel. 



Sometimes you have to laugh in the face of the things that scare you about yourself, or the fear alone will drive you mad.

As I mentioned previously, the plot is fast paced and hectic, which I love! However, there were some plot developments that just didn't make sense (especially in the end). This didn't necessarily detract from the novel, just something a few readers have picked up. Hoping for more action and battle scenes in the sequel as those were written in a superb manner. 

“Right this way, Barbie and Ken,” Corbin said, heading resolutely towards the house.   “Okay, Buffy,” I murmured to his back.  He’d started the name calling, after all.   He stifled a laugh.  “Guess I asked for that,” he said, his voice pitched-low.    “That round went to Barbie,” Christian added, helpful as always.

I urge and beg you (yes, you!) to read Breathing Fire. It was an amazing and fun-as-hell reading experience!



“Damn you,” he said roughly, kissing me with all of his pent-up rage and anger.  “Damn me,” I agreed, when he finally came up for air.  The storm took us yet again.


Find Breathing Fire on Amazon and Goodreads!



No comments:

Post a Comment