Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Black Lies Review


Author: Alessandra Torre
Genre: Contemporary, Romance, Dark
Rating: 4.5 Stars

Alessandra Torre once again surprises everyone with a dynamic and complex story of love, devotion and decisions. This summer, Hollywood Dirt was released and to be brutally honest, it didn't live up to my expectations from such a authentic author! This right here, reading Black Ties, restored my faith in Alessandra Torre. She has an epic craft of creating the most original and entertaining love stories out there. It is an ingenious craft. 

The synopsis remains intentionally vague and indistinct. For this reason, my review will take on the same theme. I beg anyone planning to read this to go into to blind. Having a blank slate makes the reading experience so much more vibrant and enjoyable. It is like going to a horror movie and knowing what will happen; it takes off the edge factor.... You REALLY don't want to lose the edge factor with this novel. 

“You been hurt?” 

“Not yet.” 
He stared at me so steadily, an odd emphasis placed on the words, as if he was giving his heart to me with both hands, certain that it would lead to his demise.

At the age of 29, Layanna is placed at the pinnacle of her life, she loves two men wholeheartedly. Now some people would justifiably say that is not a good enough excuse for "stringing" along two men. However,  Alessandra Torre takes us into this world of greyness, a world where everything isn't as seems. One has to maintain their wit in the hopes of not being too disillusioned. More than being a good read, the novel is a real life game between reality and abstraction. 

“Yeah. I couldn’t even tell you where I’ve been. Everything…” he grew quiet. “Everything fades unless I’m with you.” It should have been a compliment. Instead, it felt more like a prison sentence. A statement of fact. 
I didn’t respond.

The characters were all so complex and evolutionary. The development is phenomenal and really bring together the ending (can we call it an ending with that prologue though? who knows...). They were all so distinct, flawed and human. Torre personified human ambitions and faults through her characters, adding substance and complexity to Black Lies

“Why’d you leave with me?” Open curiosity in his eyes. Like any woman needed to explain running off with a billionaire. “I figured you should have one night you didn’t have to pay for.” 
His eyes smiled. “I like paying.”

 I was honestly enamoured throughout Black Lies. It pulls you into the core and everything else around ceases to be real. I was hypnotised and spellbound. I really recommend this novel for anyone who loves romance and is willing to have your mind challenged, if not, misled. 

“I loved you. I still love you. Even when I hate you, I love you. I always will. I’m not a smart man, but I know that."

Find this gem on Goodreads or Amazon!

No comments:

Post a Comment